November 8, 2011

Back to Bizness

So, now that the biggest candy day of the year is over (nearly $2 billion sold and I don't even want to think of the amount consumed by our little munchkins), it's time to really focus on getting back to maintaining a consistently healthy diet with exercise. Everybody knows how I love my desserts and how I love making them for others' enjoyment. Just ask my mother-in-law and Andrew. Therefore, I want to begin making healthier desserts/foods and increasing the amount of veggies Mer and Andrew see at the dinner table. As Andrew and I are looking at getting in shape and setting an example for Meredith, staying motivated day after day can be difficult. Therefore, insert motivational poster:




'Nuf said.
Speaking of working out, Andrew recently introduced me to a new machine at the Y. Day after day he insisted this machine burns more calories per minute than running on the treadmill or elliptical, so I decided to give it a go. Turns out he was right (oftentimes he is!). This is what it looks like: 


                                                    

Andrew and I both agree that working out on this thing kicks our butt. I can burn 350 calories in 35 minutes and Andrew even more. Andrew laughs at me as I struggle to maintain momentum throughout my workout, but I make it through nevertheless. It's not as easy as getting on an eliptical with a slight incline and running a few miles. Definitely an intense workout, but way worth it. 
This leads me to another topic: FOOD. No, this is not a dessert, but a wonderful soup Andrew, Deanna, and Hannah (my two wonderful sister-in-laws) had the opportunity to taste. It's a classic with a twist. The best tasting Chicken noodle soup you'll ever have (and if you have something better, please let me know, as I'm always up for improving recipes).












What you'll need:

  1. 2 tbs butter, divided
  2. 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
  3. one large onion, chopped
  4. one package chicken breasts (I used three-four pack), chopped
  5. 1 tbs thyme
  6. 2 large sticks of celery, thinly chopped
  7. 2 large carrots, thinly chopped
  8. 4 cups chicken broth (reduced sodium options available)
  9. 1 cup half and half
  10. Pepper to taste
  11. 1 cup egg noodles (whole wheat for healthier option)
What you need to do:
  1. In large pan, cook cut chicken with olive oil and pepper. Drain, set aside.
  2. In a small saucepan, sautee onion with 1 tbs butter until soft.
  3. Boil chicken broth. Add onion and butter mixture, carrots, celery, and thyme.
  4. When veggies are soft, add cooked chicken, noodles, half and half, and 1 tbs butter. You can add more chicken broth if you want it to be more soupy. If you want a healthier alternative to half and half, use fat-free half and half or milk instead.
  5. Use more vegetables if you prefer, such as mushrooms and peas. That will make the soup even more nutrient packed. 
  6. Happy Souping and here's to making healthier decision!

2 comments:

Chance said...

Ooh! Ooh! I have another work out motivational...thing! You have six months!...but then again that was about 3 months ago so get to it! ;-)

O'Leary Time said...

HA!! I already have been. Sometimes require a little more motivation though. Come Jan...Andrew and I will be the best lookin couple. =D