December 19, 2011

Arrival Time.

Is the tank full? Check.
Did we all go potty? Check.
Did we pack snacks for hungry bellies? Check.
These are the questions my family answers before we begin our journey to Georgia, and once again before heading back to Virginia. We set our destination in the GPS, are given an exact time of arrival, and in absolutely no way will we deter from that arrival time. The only thinkable reasons to stop the car are if somebody's bladder is painfully full, if sickness has struck, or if it's time to eat and fill up the gas tank (yes, those two must go hand in hand). If we do stop, we are surely guaranteed to miss our arrival time by 10-20 minutes, meaning we will need to increase our speed limit by 10 mph for the next few hours. But, by God, we will make it to our destination on time! 
I'm sure this story rings true for most people. It is too often people drive straight to their destination and forget to enjoy the journey. Fortunately, God didn't give us a GPS with a final destination and arrival time listed in the corner. He knew we'd avoid the trials, steer clear of life's little lessons, and drive through all of life's happiness in order to make it to the final destination on time.
Even though we do not have a GPS guiding our way, why are we constantly turning to our own ability to make things happen in our life? 
Too much time is spent thinking about the future, worrying about what our perfect future is and how to get there, worrying that the dream of three kids, a beautiful house, with two dogs and the perfect spouse has not yet come. It's unbelievable the amount of energy that goes in to securing the perfect future, when the only thing you truly have control over is the moment you're in right now.
This is my pre-New Year's Resolution (I owe it all to this great pastor's message on Sunday): to allow God to work in my life while I patiently wait. I will allow Him to control and bring about the perfect timing for all things, be it substitute teaching (so far things are falling in to place), financial increase, more children, a home with a big yard, or whatever He may bring. Blissfully I'll wait, giving my stress, worries, and anything less than enjoyment and praise to God. I will believe that He has a plan for my life, and there's no need for me to rush what I might not be ready for...just yet. I love this quote: "The past is history, the future is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

This is why I made a little something for today.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies:




  • 1 (1 pound 1.5 ounce) pouch Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
  • 6 drops green food color (I didn't add this b/c Andrew has a thing about food coloring)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup creme de menthe baking chips
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks

  1. Mix cookie mix, butter, extract, food color and egg in bowl, until soft dough forms. Stir in creme de menthe baking chips and chocolate chunks.
  2. Using small cookie scoop or teaspoon, drop dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool 3 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Serve warm or cool completely. Store tightly covered at room temperature.

Next time, I'll use my own chocolate chip cookie recipe, use a little less mint extract, and cut the creme de menthe baking chips down to half a cup (and I'll be sure to use the food coloring!). Who knows...Santa might enjoy these on Christmas Eve.

There is a beautiful plan for your life. Focus on the journey, the moment you're in today. Give praise in all things. Your destination will surely come in time.


6 days until we celebrate the best gift.
Warmth and love during these colder days.



2 comments:

Kendra said...

I love your comparison of a road trip to this journey we call life. I am guilty of often looking ahead at the future instead of enjoying what is in front of me now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. And those cookies - mmm!

O'Leary Time said...

Thank you, Kendra. I'm glad you found our little blog and welcome! Enjoy the cookies, as they are wonderfully refreshing. And have a wonderful Christmas!