January 10, 2012

It's Been A Minute.

It's been awhile since I last wrote, but I've been spending my free minutes redecorating this friend's blog (check it out and let me know what you think). Although I was able to help my wonderful friend out (and I absolutely love blog work!!), my free minutes are slowly trimming down since beginning student teaching, which began on Monday.
Monday: Meredith and I getting ready for our day of learning.




Can't you tell we were super serious about getting our school on? Uh huh.
The first day with my first grade class was A-MAHHH-SING! The supervising teacher was fortunate enough to move up a grade with her students (from kindergarten to first grade), therefore at the beginning of the school year the children knew exactly what to expect and were able to jump right in. Also, the teacher knew exactly what to expect from her students. Mrs. D's classroom routine is phenomenal, with different transition songs used from subject to subject and other fun learning activities that make learning look like not learning at all, but simply fun. The students only need a glare their way to settle down. This is something I imagine only senior teachers have down to a tittle, and a complexity I long to grasp. I know I'll get it one day, and onlookers only assume routine comes naturally, but you just try to go in to a classroom and guide 20-something students (all of which seem ADD after about five minutes of instruction) through each subject area on time and with 100% comprehension. It's not as easy as one might think. 
Needless to say, I'm very excited to be learning techniques from such a wonderful teacher who makes teaching look easy peasy.
On the other hand, a day last week, I caught the butt end of a Rachael Ray Show and couldn't help but run to the grocery store to grab a few ingredients to make Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Potatoes. I went to good ol' Wally World and Farm Fresh searching for chives, to no avail. Let's just say I really wanted to make this recipe and would've gone to a third store in search of the last ingredient I needed (chives), but it was beginning to get dark and the folks at home were getting rumbly tummies. And apparently this is the season where chives are in demand, so the bacon wrapped potato goodness had to go without.


You can find the recipe here. These were so delicious. Andrew loved them and I highly encourage you to make them...and pair it with the steak Rachael Ray recommends! Yum!

Warmth and love to all,

1 comment:

Emily Habeck said...

I am grateful for you, sweet friend.
Learning in Mrs. D's class sounds like super fun! :)