February 7, 2012

A Few Things On My Mind.

There have recently been a few issues plaguing my mind. They have tossed about like waves in the sea, over and over, reluctant to cease. Therefore, I must get them out of my mind and into the blogosphere. There are multiple topics which could be discussed here, but since I'm moving forward into my teaching career life, I find myself forever contemplating lifestyles of the non-rich and teaching.
Here are some facts I find to be true about teaching/teachers:

  1. Teaching is HARD. Harder than you think.
  2. Teaching is more than reading words from a book, reciting, and copying. 
  3. Teaching is compassion, love, forgiveness, life lessons, group discussion, feelings, strength, and constantly using your voice.
  4. Teaching is worth the effort.
  5. Teaching brings good days and bad days...for both you and the student. The bad days remind you that we're all human, we all have flaws, and tantrums belong to both the student and teacher. This is where forgiveness comes in to play.
  6. Teaching requires more than just pencil, paper, and books. It requires taste, touch, feel, sight, and smell. It requires at least two meals a day (some students only get their meals during school hours), a willingness to give and take, listening and speaking, and so much more.
  7. Teachers do not receive nearly the credit deserved.
  8. Teachers, at least many of them, are burned out.
  9. Teachers prefer for parents to be involved in the classroom. That's right...during the school day.
  10. and last but not least....teachers don't teach for the pay, but that's obvious.


So, here's what my brain has been twisted about recently. Ready? Ok.
The city in which I am student teaching has failed to give teachers a raise for about 2 years (or maybe it was 5 years). The teachers have also gone without classroom supply money for the last 2 years. This means, and I'll put it as simply as I can, that standards are increasing (more children must pass state tests), more curriculum is to be taught, yet teachers are not given supply money to purchase items needed so children can learn in a child-friendly environment. Elementary children especially need movement, music, crafts, and hands-on activities in order to learn. If you have your own child, you know what I'm talking about. Therefore, teachers are taking money from their salary to purchase supplies in order for children to learn in the best way possible, so the children can pass state mandated tests. The benefit of a teacher purchasing supplies with her hard earned mullah? She gets to keep her job (and obviously a true teacher would be insanely filled with joy at the thought that her students get the light-bulb experience during a lesson). 
That's my issue. Or one of them at least. 
Let me just say this. If it's in your heart to do so, and now that you might be enlightened on the topic, give to a teacher you know. When you're at the grocery store or in Wal-Mart and see a sale on pencils or paper, notebooks, crafts, large paper strips, Sharpees, crayons, construction paper, dry-erase markers, or whatever you feel a teacher would use....spend a few dollars and give it to a teacher. Because ultimately, you're giving to a child. 

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should gie what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.  -2 Corinthians 9:6-7

Another thing on my mind...February Photo-a-Day!



It's been a minute since I last posted a picture, but believe me, I have them racked up on my camera/phone. Become a friend of this blog, then send your inspiring daily photos to me @ kaoleary.85@gmail.com. Remember to keep it PG.
Love to all,



4 comments:

Jessica @ a new adventure said...

That situation has been going on in my district for years. : ( There is no good solution. I know we try to donate as much as we can when it is on sale, but besides that there is little I know to do.
New follower from MBC.
Jessica
www.anewadventureblog.com

Kait and Michele said...

Being a teacher for 5 years now, I love to hear when people are passionate about the profession! Luckily there are grants and programs like donorschoose.org that can help some, but little do people know how much you really spend as a teacher out of pocket yet sometimes it goes unappreciated!

I'm also a new follower from MBC.
Kait and Michele
www.highheelsandhotdeals.com

Come follow us too! :)

Courteous Curtis and The Parents said...

Hey! Stumbled upon your blog, from another blog in the comment section! :) Can't wait to read more!
Feel free to follow back
www.curtisandtheparents.blogspot.com

O'Leary Time said...

I'm so glad to see all of you here and know there are people out there enjoying and feeling the same way I do. Have a wonderful weekend all!