March 22, 2012

Busy Busy Busy

It's been about a week since the last post, but I've been sooooo busy. I've had lots going on with school, family, friends and I've been so desperate to get on here and put it all out there in the blogosphere. First let me tell you, I've been taking state tests to be a licensed teacher. There seem to be more tests in VA than in GA, and more expensive. Who knows...maybe I'm wrong, but I don't understand the purpose of taking these tests if I have to get a bachelors degree already. Makes no sense...just another way for the state to collect money. And I've met teachers who have passed state tests and still shouldn't be teaching. What does that say about the system? Hmmm...I know there must be logic behind the whole thing, but at the moment I do not care to hear it.
Student teaching has been pretty demanding on me. It's difficult feeling inadequate and learning to become something so important: a teacher. There are tricks to it I've found. A lot has to do with time management and positive reinforcement. The teaching thing is easy compared to those two things. Here are some pictures of the things the kiddos have been doing at school (faces blocked to protect identity):


Mrs. Willie substituted for Mrs. D...The kids thought she was mean...

Dr. Suess Day...The Lorax mustache.

One students work. I got a good laugh from it.



On the other hand, Mer was sick not too long ago. Coughing through the night and throwing up called for a sleepless night. Needless to say, it was not a peaceful night...that night. Mer slept with me while Andrew snoozed on the couch. I watched her every second until finally her body gave in to rest. We were so tired exhausted the next day. We took off from work and school, headed to the doc, only to find she had a cold and fluid in her ears. It's the worst thing to watch your child through the middle of the night battle sickness. It literally hurts your heart.
On the other hand, I did find some treasure on the side of the road...
I wasn't even looking for it and out the corner of my eye I saw them. Two side tables full of color and personality. I passed them, stopped, looked to make sure nobody was coming, then put the car in reverse for a good quarter mile. I even asked the owners to be sure it wasn't a mistake that such cute tables were sitting alone by the road.

Can't beat free furniture!


Andrew wasn't too thrilled with the old look of it, but the color adds something unique to our space. I really love them. Who says things that are good can't be free? 
Did I mention it's Spring!! Beautiful flowers are blooming, the sun is shining, the temperature is up (in the 80s)...and it's time for allergies and pollen. We have been sneezing, coughing, and staying indoors, or trying to at least. As we were driving home from soccer practice we could literally see yellow clouds of pollen blowing from the trees. RE-DI-Q-LOUS! 
But we did enjoy celebrating a friend's birthday. Our little munchkins got together and had a blast. I love that we have friends with children here in VA. My only hope is that Meredith has lifetime friends with them, as I have already come to love their families. 
It's Spring! We celebrated a friend's birthday.
So, here's to catching up and hoping I'll be able to write again soon. Happy Spring and enjoy the beautiful weather, wherever you are.


No comments: