March 14, 2012

Orange Chicken

Orange chicken, you've been on my mind,
On my mind,
On my mind.
Orange chicken, you've been on my mind,
And I'm gonna eat you tonight.

You will more than enjoy this delicious orange chicken. Try it, you'll love the sweet and spicy flavor. The best part about it is the sauce is already made and it's from Panda Express. Andrew and I spied it in good ol' Wally World awhile back and when I had the crave for it, I immediately added it to my shopping list. Try it, you'll love it! This recipe was totally made up by yours truly, with inspiration from Panda Express's orange chicken. All I had to do was figure out how to bread my chicken, which I didn't want to deep-fry, therefore I baked instead (definitely a healthier option). Instead of making the large chicken breast for my picky six-year-old, who doesn't eat anything unless it's in the shape of macaroni or other kid favorites, I chopped up chicken and made the chicken nugget version of the recipe. She said it was the best nuggets she'd ever tasted. I stopped holding my breath with her words of affirmation.







Orange Chicken
What you'll need:

  • Boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • All-Purpose flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup white rice
  • 2 cups water
  • Broccoli Florets
  • Panda Express sauce, Orange flavor
How to Make:
  1. Boil water on medium-high, then add rice. Stir and cover, reducing heat to medium-low. Let simmer, stirring occasionally until soft. Set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 375. Scramble eggs in a bowl, set aside. Add flour to a zip lock bag to toss chicken in, set aside. Cut chicken breasts in half if too thick. Dip in egg, then dip in flour bag until chicken is covered in flour. Continue with all the chicken pieces, placing on cooking sheet when floured. Generously pour sauce over chicken, spread. Cook for 35 minutes or until white when cut. 
  3. Steam broccoli (or use microwavable broccoli bag) and set aside.
  4. When chicken is finished, serve over rice and broccoli. 
  5. Enjoy!
This is the best chicken dish I've made in a long time. I'm so proud of it and can't wait for you to try!