July 9, 2012

Gluten Free Goddess.

So many people are turning up with gluten allergies. You probably know somebody who must have a gluten-free diet, and there are many people who are doing it as a reason to stay healthy. Bad Gluten! If you're not one of those people with gluten allergies or who are avoiding gluten at all costs, my bet is that you know somebody who is. I remember the first time I'd heard of a gluten allergy. My sister-in-law turned up with a gluten allergy, and the truth is she became quite annoyed at the whole thing because of the lack of seriousness on the situation. I agree, I was somewhat skeptical at first. She was the first person I'd heard of having it and it just sounded like another thing. I had no idea the seriousness of the situation and the pain that ingesting gluten could cause. People with gluten allergies suffer from cramping, constipation (oh, dang!), and severe bloating, among other things. One blogger wrote: Gluten sensitivity causes inflammation in your body. And, the inflammation does not just manifest in your gut. It can manifest in pain all over the body. In my case, it caused excruciating leg pain, swelling, bloating and carpel tunnel syndrome. Needless to say...those who have gluten allergies or sensitivity who don't know it yet...I feel sorry for you! That's some real pain! But when a person first hears of a gluten allergy it sounds more or less like a frustrating condition that affects everybody. Meals have to be catered around the individual with the gluten allergy, and many times the person with the gluten allergy is left out of the planning because of the frustration of the situation in nature. For example, my sister-in-law cannot have her food touch any plate/dish/cookware/etc. that has been in contact with products containing gluten. When we go out to eat with her, chefs have to cook her food alone, completely separate from other foods to be sure her food remains uncontaminated. The more and more people become aware of gluten allergies, the more they will find that certain restaurants cater to gluten free individuals. Many restaurants sport a gluten free menu upon request, such as Chili's, Applebee's, Bonefish Grill, Red Robin, Boston Market, Buffalo Wild Wing, Carino's Italian Grill, Carrabba's Italian Grill, among many others that I do not have the space to list. For restaurants with a gluten free menu in your state, go here.
So when a beautiful couple from church decided to get together for dinner with us, they were sure to let Andrew and me know about their recent diet changes, which included gluten free restrictions. I needed to make a meal that was gluten free and I knew the perfect site to visit. The Gluten Free Goddess! Her site has loads of delicious meals/appetizers/drinks/desserts to choose from. So I picked something from the summer food list and I was amazed at how it turned out...SOOOO GOOOD!


Mediterranean Fish with Brown Rice in Foil Packets
For recipe, click here. We used Salmon and Tilapia (Tilapia being my favorite and less fishy tasting I think), but it was so yummy and so healthy and you know when you eat healthy you always feel better than when gorging on hamburgers and french fries.
For all you gluten free people out there, I love you!!


No comments: